This is one of those recipes that is so easy I feel like I’m cheating by posting it. But I figure if I didn’t know about this fast and easy method of making “cream sauce”, you may not, either. And believe me, if you like cream sauce, you want to know.
Tips and tricks: First, any kind of protein (or none!) would be great with this. I happened to use salmon because my dr. told me if I’m not going to take supplements (I’m not, because I feel like crap when I do), I need to eat salmon a few times a week. I think this recipe would also be really great with chicken. Also, when I made this, I made it for myself to have for lunch, and I mixed everything together (except the tomatoes) as in the recipe below. Next time, I’m going to keep the salmon separate, as by the 3rd lunch, the salmon flavor had completely overwhelmed everything else.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice optional
- 4 cloves garlic chopped and sauteed, optional
- fresh basil optional
- 1 lb salmon cooked and shredded OR
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded/cubed
- 1 qt grape tomatoes optional
- Boil pasta to al dente and drain
- Add cream cheese, Parmesan, and milk to hot pasta
- Stir until cheeses are completely melted
- Add lemon juice, garlic, and/or basil if desired
- Stir in desired salmon or chicken, coating well
- Top with grape tomatoes if desired
Modified from Chef Michael Smith's Penne with Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese Sauce.